Big Horn Quilts

Big Horn Quilts
Thirteen years online!

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Crazy Quilting

In my shop newsletter this month, I asked for pictures of crazy quilts (since mine is in the ugly adolescent stage).  Jackie Perry of Marion, Virginia sent in 3 pictures of a great quilt she made.
 
This is an exciting quilt.  The closeup shows lots of fancy embellishments.   Back, pre-civil war, there were quilts called kaleidoscope quilts that were done in this way, except they weren't pieced on foundations and they weren't embellished much.   This reminds me of one of those I saw, in its overall impact.  

Then Gen, from Gensplace  (don't actually know her name) sent two closeups of an antique crazy quilt she owns.
 
This is done the hard way, all by hand.  This is what I'm trying to do with mine, and Betty Shem is leading a group of the crazy quilt club who are doing more like the first quilt, with their machines.  We're all having a lot of fun!  I started out not using a thimble, but all the hand embroidery soon wore a sore place on my middle finger, so I'm back to a thimble.  I haven't hand quilted for 10 years, so I'm having to get used to the thimble again.   Soon I'll share some of my stuff.  If anyone wants to send me pictures of crazy quilts, I'd love to post them here.

1 comment:

Denise :) said...

Ever since reading about a crazy quilt in the Elm Creek series, I've wanted to try my hand at one ... but it's rather intimidating! Keep us posted on your progress. Happy weekend! :)